[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 09:50:18 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Dale wrote:

>>> It doesn't work.  I get the same error about klauncher and D-Bus.
>>> It can go through directories tho.
>>>

>> Well the above works for me.  So, I would suspect that you have a
>> D-Bus configuration problem.  How did you install KDE-4?
>>
>> You could open a Konsole from Konqueror (the one that is running as
>>  root) -- "Tools -> Open Terminal" -- and execute:
>>
>> kdeinit4
>>
>> and see if that helps.
>>

> This may have helped.  I get this:
>
> root at smoker ~ # kdeinit4 kdeinit4: preparing to launch
> /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so kdeinit4: Communication error with
> launcher. Exiting! root at smoker ~ #

I have seen that error while starting Konqueror as root in a Konsole using:

	xhost + root
	su -
	{enter password}
	DISPLAY=":0.0"
	export DISPLAY
	konqueror

before I found out what happened to "kdesu".  And you might try that as
well.  The thing is that I never figured out what the problem was.  In
fact, I decided that it was a random error since closing that Konsole
instance and opening another and trying again always worked. :-(

> If it has a error like that, it may not be starting launcher when I
> login either.  That could be the problem.

I still suspect D-Bus for my problem as well as yours.

> On D-Bus, I havnt't configured anything.  Gentoo takes care of all
> that.  It is running and works for everything else. I dunno.

I just used the configure files in the BLFS manual.  There is one thing.
   As it says in the tutorial:

	http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x

		[Shameless self promotion]

The "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" file must be configured for it to
find your KDE-4 D-Bus services which are located in:

	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir

If you installed KDE-4 using Gentoo scripts, that should be configured
but you might want to check it.  So, for example, my KDE-4 is installed
in: "/usr/KDE-4" so I added this line:

	<servicedir>/usr/KDE-4/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>

to that file along with the other similar lines.  If you installed KDE-4
in "/usr" then you probably don't need to add anything.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch