[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 11 11:17:41 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-11-11, Dale wrote:
> Dale wrote:

> > Well, I have made some changes on this end.  That is why I have been
> > gone a while.  I switched from the sqlite thingy to MySQL.  I then
> > deleted this file so that it would create a brand spanking new one.
> > This is what is in there now.
> >
> > root at smoker ~ # cat /home/dale/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
> > [%General]
> > Driver=QMYSQL
> > SizeThreshold=4096
> > ExternalPayload=false
> >
> > [QMYSQL]
> > Name=akonadi
> > User=
> > Password=
> > Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/dale/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket
> >"
> >
> > ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
> > StartServer=true

Yes, that's a correct one.
Since it got created that way we can now also be certain that there have been
no changes to Akonadi's defaults in behalf of Gentoo. Excellent! :)

> I had to log out and back in anyway so I watched to see if the error
> popped up again.  It does for what I would call a flash.  It says it is
> starting then a few seconds later I see a flash of the error box.  If I
> were to blink, I would miss it.  It is gone really fast.
>
> Since I can't actually read anything in the box, I opened Kopete, which
> usually shows the error too, and it connected just fine with no error at
> all.  I guess it took it two tries to get its ducks in a row.  It may
> not be a error that is popping up but just a box where it is checking
> its config and since it is working, it just closes itself.

That might have been the migration utility checking whether it had completed
the "import" step correctly. Should not popup again on next startup.

> Soooooo, sqlite and KDE 4 don't work together.  MySQL is required.

The work to make sqlite available as a backend is still in progress. It
currently doesn't cope well with the heavy parallel access pattern of Akonadi.
For now MySQL is the known to work configuration, next release should also be
capable of being configured with Postgres support.

> One thing down.  What is this mc thing?  I got to go install this and
> see if it is a replacement for Dolphin.

mc is the Midnight Commander.
A text console based file manager, inspired by the very similar Norton
Commander application of the DOS era.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring