[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 11 11:15:51 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I log into KDE 4 whenever there is a update to something just to see
>>> what is working and what issues still remain.  This is hopefully going
>>> to be the catch all thread for me.  Right now, I have two things that I
>>> want to work on.  There are others but this is two biggies.  I will say
>>> that after this last update, it is looking pretty darn cool.
>>>
>>> I'm using Gentoo.  I have both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4 installed.  After
>>> yesterday, I have the latest updates that are available through Gentoo.
>>> Here are the versions of some of the software that may help in this:
>>>
>>> sqlite-2.8.16-r4
>>> sqlite-3.6.18
>>> kdelibs-4.3.3
>>> akonadi-server-1.2.1
>>> akonadi-4.3.3
>>>
>>> This is all the dbus related stuff:
>>>
>>> dbus-glib-0.76 (0)
>>> dbus-qt3-old-0.70 (0)
>>> dbus-python-0.83.0-r1 (0)
>>> dbus-1.2.3-r1 (0)
>>> qt-dbus-4.5.3-r1 (4)
>>>

>>> If it matters,
>>>
>>> gcc-4.4.2
>>>
>>> Problem one, I used to use Konqueror as root to edit config files and
>>> such.  I have to be root to do this.  I set Dolphin up to run as root
>>> and it comes up fine.  I even like the look so far.  The last time I
>>> tried this it wouldn't even open a folder, directory or whatever you
>>> want to call it.  It does after this latest update today.  I assume that
>>> got fixed.  However, if I got to a directory like /etc ,which is owned
>>> by root, and try to open a text file, I get a error.  It won't let me
>>> copy and paste so it is a screen shot.  It basically complains about
>>> Klauncher and dbus.  Screen shot is attached as screenshot1.
>>>

>> Does it work if you open a Konsole and start it with:
>>
>> 	kdesu dolphin
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Note that if you don't have a link that "kdesu" is, for some strange
>> reason" buried as: "$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu".  If you don't have
>> a link, you might want to make one.  Name it kdesu4 if you still have
>> KDE-3 on the system.
>>

> It doesn't work.  I get the same error about klauncher and D-Bus.  It
> can go through directories tho.

Well the above works for me.  So, I would suspect that you have a D-Bus
configuration problem.  How did you install KDE-4?

You could open a Konsole from Konqueror (the one that is running as
root) -- "Tools -> Open Terminal" -- and execute:

	kdeinit4

and see if that helps.

--
James Tyrer