[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:55:22 UTC 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2009-11-09, Duncan wrote:
>

> Oh my!
> I totally overlooked that when looking at Dale's test output.
> How did that end up being configured for sqlite which is known not to work?
> Gentoo didn't pull the sources from the experimental sqlite branch, did they?
>
> Dale, your akonadiserverrc (see other reply) also needs this:
>
> [%General]
> Driver=QMYSQL
>
> Next version will have support for Postgres, though not tested very well.

OK.  I assume that is the file that I don't have yet.  I'm going to have
to create that ain't I?  lol

> Since Dale's session configuration seems to be highly experiemental without
> him knowing, I am almost certain this is a result of one of the compatibility
> plugins being loaded.
> Dale you can check in KDE's system settings -> advanced tab -> KDE resources.
> For Contacts or Calendar, things called "Akonadi Compatibility Resource" or
> something similar.
>
> Basically plugins for KDE's current resource system to get data from Akonadi.
> Intended in the long run for keeping compatibility with old applications,
> currently disabled in all our releases, only enabled for testing in trunk,
> betas and RCs.
>
> Dale writes in another reply that he gets it at login, which most likely means
> it is the contact resource plugin, either being used by Kopete or something
> like the KRunner "Contacts" plugin.
>
> Removing it through system settings should help here.

Not real sure what I am looking for but heck, I can do a rm -rf ~/.kde4
and fix it.  o-O   Anyway.

I went there and I do have something under Contacts.  The others are
blank.  It says Default Address Book then File then Yes.  It also has a
check mark for it.  I tried to remove the check mark to "disable" the
thing but KDE got really pissed about that.  It gave me a warm and wet
feeling.  Stuff went dark and a little error message popped up that
reminded me of HAL 2000.  It said 'I can't do that'.  Glad I don't have
that speech software on here.  :-O  It would be more than a wet
feeling.  ^_^

> Cheers,
> Kevin

I don't mind messing with this.  I'm sort of bored since I can't sleep
most of the time anyway.  I think the devs just need more time.  It is a
lot better than it was when I first installed it a month or so ago.

Should I ditch the SQL thingy I got and install MySQL or something?  As
long as everything else works, KDE 3 wise, I don't mind.

Oh, one more pet peeve.  How do I make my clock use the 12 hour format
instead of the 24 hour?  I'm not in the military.  I know when it is
dark or sunny.

Dale

:-)  :-)