[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 17:54:14 UTC 2009

It seems to me that I need to let the KDE devs have some more time on
this.  It seems that changing USE flags to get things working now will
just lead to me having to change things back later on.  While I do use a
GUI to generally do admin things, I can equally do them in a plain ole
condole as well.  I even installed elogv because it will work in a
console.  I have the GUI based elogviewer installed as well.  Either one
works fine.

The issue for me is that KDE 4 just has a few things that are shall we
say "important to me" that is not working yet.  The two things in this
thread are two big issues that I need fixed.  I can live with the mouse
pointer thing if needed.  There are other things that I can handle while
they are fixing them but I do need to be able to browse my files as
root.  I would also not like to be flashed with a error first thing.

This is November, lots of holidays next month but I do believe KDE 4
will be here and working well in the next couple months.  I think Gentoo
is jumping the gun a bit but I can handle this.  I have a second install
with only KDE 3 installed that I plan to use until KDE 4 is ready.  It
just won't get updated in the meantime.  I can chroot in here and update
this install if needed and even check on KDE 4 after updates.

I was hoping to get Linux installed for my brother too but this will
wait for a while.  I may use Mandriva for him anyway.  His machine is
not beefy like mine.  I built my own rig and it is built like a tank.
Huge coolers, lots of funs and a server case.  His has little cookers,
only two small fans counting the P/S fan and a small case.  Just not
something I would want to compile OOo on.  o_O

Thanks much.

Dale

:-)  :-)