[kde-linux] Limiting access to external drives

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 6 12:34:48 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-11-06, Robert Minsk wrote:
> I am currently trying to limit mounting of external drives to only members
>  of the unix group "io" in kde-3.5.4 (RHEL 5.4).  Would this be done at the
>  d-bus level, hal level, or not starting the kded mediamanger for users not
>  in the io group?  I was thinking about having a kdedrc with:
>
> [Module-medianotifier]
> autoload[$ie]=$(/usr/local/bin/ingroup io)
>
> but there has got to be a better way to do this.

I think it would be best to do it as close to the actual mounting operation as
possible, otherwise it can be circumvented by using a different "frontend".

So either in HAL if it can restrict actions depending on user/group or in D-
Bus by restricting access to the respective HAL interface.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring