[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:31:36 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 10:59:16 Dale wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> In that case they are not using the enterprise branch.  This is not so
>>> surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs.  The
>>> problem comes when a user wants the latest and greatest.  The enterprise
>>> releases are focused 100% on stability.
>>>
>> Would Mandriva be one of the ones that would be using that branch?  That
>> is what I am thinking about installing at least for right now.
>>

> No.  Mandriva have, up to now, allowed both 4 and 3.5 to be installed.  Very
> soon they will drop 3.5 altogether - in the next release, I think.  The ones
> that do are things like CentOS, WhiteBox, I think is another, Scientific Linux
> - I'm sure there are more.  CentOS is quite a lot like Mandriva, but it's
> Fedora-derived, so you wouldn't have the Mandriva tools.  The RH tools feel
> strange at first, but there are plenty of people that can help.
>
>> Well, my brother may not even know as much as those two.  I do have KDE
>> 4 installed here.  I'm not willing to use it yet so I'm not planning to
>> ask him to use it either.  It's not even ready for me yet.  I know its
>> not ready for him.
>>
>> All that said, I suspect that in a couple more months, allowing for the
>> holidays to slow things down a little, KDE 4 will be off to a lot better
>> start for me.  It just seems that every time I want to do something, its
>> not there or it doesn't work yet.  I sort of get bored quickly in those
>> situations and go back to what I know works for me.
>>

> Dale, there's hardly anything that isn't there, or doesn't work, but it is
> definitely different.  Things are not always in the same place as you expect
> them, and don't always work in the same way.  You have to be prepared to learn
> new ways if you want it to work for you, but the reward is new functionality.
> After a while you wonder how you ever managed without it.
>
> Anne

But when something is grayed out and not a permissions issue, then it is
missing.  I just wish I could recall what it was that i was trying to
do.  I just know that it wasn't a option that was available when I was
looking into it.  I do remember it being in system settings tho.

I know that KDE 4 is different and want to learn to use it, when
everything is working as it should be.  I hate to say this but this sort
of reminds me a lot of Microsoft.  Build some software, release as
stable and ready for mainstream then try to finish it.  From my
experience with KDE 3, it wasn't really ready until about 3.4 or the
first releases of 3.5.  This KDE is not much different except that they
are stopping support for KDE 3.5 to soon.

Dale

:-)  :-)