[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 2 11:46:06 UTC 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-02, Duncan wrote:

> I'm wondering... "the enterprise branch" of /what/?
>
> KDE?  Does it have an enterprise branch?  That would be news to me.
> Presumably they'd be releasing 3.5.11 source tarballs at some point with
> changes appropriate to compile with whatever the current release versions
> of gcc and etc are.

KDE as a whole does not have an enterprise branch.
However, companies providing products build on KDE3 do have KDE3 based
development branches (some have KDE4 based ones for future products).

> What we're talking about is kde upstream sources.  What I believe you're
> talking about is enterprise branches of distribution sources.  They're
> two entirely different things, and if kde upstream isn't providing that
> support, it's effectively unprovided for those remaining kde users, as so
> publicly promised by asegio.

For example for KDAB, a company providing PIM solutions to its customers using
KDEPIM, it works like this:
they have a development branch (one based on KDE3 and one on KDE4) called
"kdepim enterprise branch", e.g
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/kdepim/enterprise/

Their maintenance and feature development happens there.
When things in there stabilize, they merge those changes back to the
respective KDE branch, in case of KDE3 that would be KDE 3.5 branch.
(for KDE4 this usually means merge into "trunk").

For example the lastest commit to KDE 3.5 is, at the moment of writing, 3 days
old:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kabc/scripts/field.src.cpp?view=log

Cheers,
Kevin