[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 00:22:19 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> They promised security update as long as needed, but they never
> promised any development.  And there exists a group that maintains 3.5 for
> enterprise releases which continue to use it, with no time-scale, so far as
> I'm aware, set for this to stop.

But security updates are not sufficient for users that are not willing
to use an old distro.

For KDE-3.5 to continue to be usable, it needs to be able to work with
the latest release of Qt-3 and Xorg.  I found that this was not the
case. Qt-3.3.8b (which did fix the memory leaks) and Xorg-server-1.6.2
with XCB seem to have totally broken it for me (not sure which was the
cause).  It might be possible to have two versions of Xorg installed,
but that would be really un-simple. :-)

So, without development to make it work with new libraries, it is a dead
issue.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch