[kde-linux] How do you disable Access Keys in Konqueror? PS

Borden Rhodes jrvp at bordenrhodes.com
Thu May 28 05:45:58 UTC 2009

Hullo Bruce, thank you for your help

> Hello, Borden --
> The wikipedia page you cited notes that, in Konquorer, the <Ctrl>
> key "... must be released before the regular key is pressed."  Hence,
> this is NOT a traditional "key chord" at all!

Unfortunately, though, when I'm typing quickly, the Access Keys are activated
and before I can hit Esc, as Anne suggested, I've already moved onto the next
key and consequently, the next page!  It's a pain in the neck for touch-
typists who are faster than they are accurate, like me.  Often times I tap
Ctrl, coordinate my fingers improperly, or go for a shortcut and suddenly
change my mind activating the dreaded Access Keys.

Therefore, the real workaround is slow down typing until my accuracy improves
enough that I never activate them unintentionally.  But I'll sooner go back to
pen-and-paper than crawl along at 20 WPM.  I think using a Microsoft keyboard
makes matters worse.

> I am not yet really
> using 4.x, and so some of my "navigation" may differ from yours.
> In Konqueror, try choosing "Go" from the menu-bar, then "Settings" from
> the drop-down menu, then "Regional and Accessibility", and
> then "Accessibility".
> In Konqueror 3.5.5, release 45 for openSUSE, this produces tabbed access
> to "Bell" (irrelevant to you!), "Modifier Keys" (check it
> out), "Keyboard Filters" (a possibility), and "Activation Gestures"
> (very likely to be useful).

It looks like they've moved things around since Konqueror 3.5 because in 4.2
the only settings are now under Settings -> Configure Konqueror (they have
others, which I've checked, but none with that elusive box).  I've also taken
a peek through SystemSettings and its Accessibility module also to no help.

It's strange because the complaints and petitions against Access Keys ceased
around the time 4.0 came out - at least according to Google.  So it would seem
that those people found that checkbox.

With thanks,