[kde-linux] Konqueror as root

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 20 23:52:52 UTC 2009

Alain M. wrote:
> Yees!
>
> that was a step in the right direction. Just one problem, I get theis
> error:
> $ sudo xhost +root

You shouldn't have to use "sudo" to run 'xhost'.  Your user account owns
the current X session so you don't need root permission to add users to it.

> xhost:  bad hostname "root"

That is odd.  Please try it without "sudo".

> as a workaround I used
> $ sudo xhost +
> but I am not sure if this is the right thing.

Yes, you can do that.  If you have read the fine man page, you will know
that this allows any user and any host to use the X session.  This is
OK, but strictly speaking, it is a security risk.

> Anyway, I am gatting the new editor as root :)

Good to hear that you got it working.
--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch