[kde-linux] Upgrading Linux breaks KDE 3.5

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu May 7 17:35:33 UTC 2009

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <4A006E8E.4020508 at acm.org>, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> However, I now have other problems:
>>
>> !.	kgpg crashes on startup.
>> 2.	KDESU doesn't work.
>> 3.	Konqueror still gets clogged up when I have a lot of stuff open.
>>
>> The developers claim that KDE-3.5 is not maintained, but since KDE-4.2
>> isn't really stable enough (actually it appears to be just Plasma) for
>> production use, I wonder what I should do.
>
> I use KDE 4.2.2 (for the openSUSE Build Service) on my work system, so I
> think it is good enough for production use.  However, KDE 4.2 isn't
> officially supported by openSUSE so I can't recommend using it there.
>
> If you are willing to use a distribution does support KDE 4.2, I would
> recommend upgrading.

I see no reason why you would need a specific distro to use KDE-4.2 as
long as you have all of the dependencies for the binary you were using.

AFAIK, my distro does support KDE-4.2.x.  I have installed KDE-4.2.3 and
It is a bit rough around the edges and I should write bugs for missing
features, things that don't work, and little things that are wrong --
however, I appear to be PNG at KBO so that is a waste of my time.

>> Has maintenance [of KDE 3] been left up
>> to the distros?
>
> Yes.
>
> All that said, you might find some support via these lists.  I can't help
> much, because I'm on KDE 4.2 everywhere, and I imagine you'll see that more
> as time goes by.

The problem with KDE-4.2 remains the early Beta DeskTop (Plasma).
Perhaps things would be better if I downgraded to KDE-4.2.2.  However, I
can't uses something that crashes the whole X session.  It would be OK
if applications crashed or if the desktop crashes (it restarts
automatically), but when the whole X session goes down it simply isn't
usable.

The latest quire is that when I click on the Klipper icon in the System
Tray, there is a crash.  It isn't just that Klipper crashes; it isn't
that the System Tray or the Panel crashes; the whole X session crashes.
  I can't put up with that.

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch