[kde-linux] "open with" option in right click context menu

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 28 12:35:41 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 11:17:26 Jethro Tull wrote:

First - you hijacked a thread, for which you get a slap on the wrist :-)
Always start a new thread for a new question (click on the To: of an existing
message to get up a quick compose window).  I've corrected this by starting
the thread afresh here.

> I'm running KDE 3.5.10.
> When i right click on a file in konqueror i can see the option "open with"
> in which there are links to programs that KDE suggests to open the file
> with. The listed program names is not always up to date. Indeed It shows
> some programs that are not anymore installed on the system. I'd like to
> know how to get rid of them.

Open KControl.  If I remember correctly it is in KDE Components, and you are
looking for File Associations.  Type the extension of the file type into the
search box and you should see the list of possible applications.  Remove the
ones you don't want to see.