[kde-linux] non KDE linux question

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Mar 17 10:36:49 UTC 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> david wrote:
>> Sorry for a non-KDE question ...
>>
>> I have some PATA > SATA adapters (to connect IDE hard drives to SATA
>> connectors). According to the vendor, neither the adapters nor the
>> drives attached to them will appear in the BIOS, but they should
>> appear to the OS. Their example is (of course) Windows-based, but the
>> devices require and provide no drivers. I particularly picked these
>> adapters because one of the reviewers who had bought one was booting
>> Linux from a drive attached to the adapter ...
>>
>> So how can I figure out where the drives attached to these devices are
>> showing up, so I can add them to fstab?
>>
> You shouldn't have to figure that out.  These are hardware adapters and
> I don't think that they have a driver.  You plugged the adapter into a
> IDE socket so it is still the same device.  All you need to figure out
> is how the Linux SATA driver works.  Before you can add anything to
> fstab, you will need to find it and partition it with fdisk.

I simply need to find them. All the drives in question were in use in my
server on the previous motherboard (one of them is the old system
drive), all partitioned, etc. They're not showing up, period.

The only thing I can report about the Linux SATA driver running there is
it finds the one native SATA drive on ata1 and uses it just fine as
/dev/sda. dmesg shows the system then checks ata2/3/4 and reports those
SATA links down. The IDE drive attached to the motherboard's one IDE
controller appears as /dev/hda and is not either of the 2 missing drives.

fdisk -l reports only the sda and hda drives mentioned above.

I get the same results using either the recently-updated Debian 5 system
installed on it, or the December 2008 Sidux DVD ...

Does the SATA driver have options or something like that needed to
actually support more than one SATA port or something????

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community