[kde-linux] system-config-printer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 3 03:24:42 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 12:20:59 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> What it has is a print dialog that is able to use the features of the
>> printer. �Something that KDE (3|4) can not do.
>
> Absolute rubbish.  I have used kde printing for years, with two printers that
> have duplexing and n-up capability.  I have no problems whatsoever.

Yes, KDE-3 Supports duplexing.  N-Up has nothing to do with the printer.

I think that what I said was that there is no way to set the printer
resolution with the KDE/Qt print dialog, and that is true.

Perhaps this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/013.png

is more to the point.  You can adjust all of these parameters.  KDE-3.5
is able to do this but it is basically hard coded for just PDFs --
doesn't work for PS files.  With OO this is all done by reading a PPD
file.  It is a nice interface and adding it to KDE-4 would be an
improvement.

Since this is controlled by the PPD file, you can use a different PPD
file and you have different parameters to match the printer that you are
using.  Basically, it works like that CUPS::Set Printer Options page.

--
JRT