[kde-linux] KDE-3 session will not accept my root password

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 2 16:52:13 UTC 2009

Well this is really strange.  It goes without saying that this problem
started recently -- it worked before I updated some things on my system
(Berkeley DB, OpenSSL, & OpenLDAP).

And, now, when I am running KDE-3, it will not accept the root password.
  It works fine to log in with KDM or in a virtual terminal, but whether
I am trying to use su in a Konsole or using KDESU to run an application,
the result is: an "incorrect password" message.

I upgraded to OpenSSL-0.9.8j which didn't work and I had to revert to
OpenSSL-0.9.8g.

I currently have:

	OpenLDAP-2.4.14

and am considering reverting to:

	OpenLDAP-2.3.39

if anyone thinks that that could be the problem.  Or, I notice that FC
is using 2.4.12 with 5 recent patches (2.4.x).

--
JRT