[kde-linux] system-config-printer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 2 12:20:59 UTC 2009

david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Hmm, I might once have had to do that long ago - like 6-7 years ago, but
>>> that was several distros ago and haven't had to do that for either the
>>> laser or the photo printer.
>> I don't think it's anything like as long ago as that, but then time does get
>> distorted.  By the look of it, though, you are quite right.  It has changed a
>> lot.  I just pulled up a document and asked it to print, and it did find my
>> printer straight away.  That's a really big improvement.
>
> I think the printing distinction between OO and CUPS/Linux went away
> with OO 1.x sometime. Or even with when OpenOffice came out of earlier
> versions of StarOffice. StarOffice was the one that wanted to provide
> its users with a platform-neutral desktop experience, so it tried its
> best to replace your usual desktop ...

I am starting to wonder: does anyone here actually use OO?  If not, what
do you use for a wordprocessor? :-)  Actually, I prefer WordPerfect, but
the UNIX version for X (8.1) has issues with the current GLibc and it
won't print (yes, it won't print :-( and that was why I had to use LPR).
  OO has a usable wordprocessor that generates nice output, but as far
as ease of use, it is no WordPerfect.

IAC, OO does not actually communicate with your printer, it simply
communicates with your print spooler like other applications do.  Since
it is not a member of a DeskTop, it has its own print dialog.

What it has is a print dialog that is able to use the features of the
printer.  Something that KDE (3|4) can not do.  To do this, all it needs
is a PPD file for the printer.  E.G. My old dot matrix line printer
prints at three different resolutions and I can select this in the OO
print dialog:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/012.png

With CUPS, I have to open the HTML page in Konqueror to set this.

--
JRT