[kde-linux] KuickShow under KDE 4

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Sun Jun 28 19:36:25 UTC 2009

jim wrote:
> First, I wish to thank all who responded to my requests. Your inputs
> help a lot.
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> It sounds as though you don't have kipi-plugins installed.  Install them,
>> then in Gwenview try Plugins > Images > Metadata
>> Anne
>>
> Anne,
> I have the kipi-plugins installed. The Plugins->Images->Metadata contains
> selections such as 'Edit EXIF..', 'Remove EXIF..' etc. If I select 'Edit EXIF'
> on a photo with embedded UserData, The dialog that appears shows only a blank
> 'Captions' edit window, no UserData edit window.
>
> Bogus Zaba wrote:
>
>> Not sure what version of Gwenview you have and what environment you are
>> running it in, but my Gwenview (version 1.4.2 running in KDE 3.5.9 under
>> Slackware 12.2) has the MetaInfo tab in the properties dialog and is
>> full of information I never knew I had until recently, like camera
>> manufacturer,  aperture, focal length, date & time. I take it this is
>> what you are after ?
>>

>> Bogus
>>
> ROGER THAT Bogus, sounds exactly like what im after. That should be the EXIF
> data imbedded in the photo file. Does it include an edit window for UserData?
>
> My Gwenview 'properties' dialog ONLY contains 'General', 'Permissions', and
> 'Preview' tabs.??
> My environment: Fedora 10, KDE 4.1.2, Gwenview 2.1.2.
>
> Anne, does your KDE 4 version of Gwenview show a properties/metadata-info tab?
>
> If I can get Gwenview working like Bogus states, then I can use that until the
> 'official' Kuickshow gets sorted out, sounds like it would be hard to get the
> current version working on my system. (I may try to anyway, just for fun).
> Or maybe Ill just write a python program to view the metadata UserInfo. I
> wrote a test version a while back that used fixed off-sets into the image file.
> It worked for most photos, but not all. I will need to get more info on the
> EXIF metadata specs.
>
> Regards jimp

Jim

My environment obviously rather different from yours - I have not yet
put my foot into the KDE4 waters. So different major version of Gwenview
and I am really not sure if in the newer version you would expect to see
the Meta Info tab. But Anne certainly sees it with a KDE4 version of
Gwenview so I guess it can be configured. I couldn't see the graphic
that Anne posted. I was patient, but my browser was not. I have posted
one of my own (my old version of KDE and Gwenview of course, but might
encourage you to see the dialogue which Gwenview can show) here :

http://www.bogzab.plus.com/screendumps/gwenview-metainfo-snapshot.png

You will see a photograph in the background and the Edit EXIF dialogue
in front.

IIRC I built this version of Gwenview from sources and I had to also
build and install the exiv2, libkipi and kipi-plugins packages for all
this to work. This is the way my distro works - you resolve
dependencies  yourself, so if things don't work you have to blame
yourself as well...

Hope you can get it working. I am hoping to get a digital SLR camera
soon and will start using all this functionality in anger.

Bogus