[kde-linux] KuickShow under KDE 4

jim jimtrish at att.net
Sun Jun 28 16:39:48 UTC 2009

First, I wish to thank all who responded to my requests. Your inputs
help a lot.

Anne Wilson wrote:
>It sounds as though you don't have kipi-plugins installed.  Install them,
>then in Gwenview try Plugins > Images > Metadata
>Anne
Anne,
I have the kipi-plugins installed. The Plugins->Images->Metadata contains
selections such as 'Edit EXIF..', 'Remove EXIF..' etc. If I select 'Edit EXIF'
on a photo with embedded UserData, The dialog that appears shows only a blank
'Captions' edit window, no UserData edit window.

Bogus Zaba wrote:
>Not sure what version of Gwenview you have and what environment you are
>running it in, but my Gwenview (version 1.4.2 running in KDE 3.5.9 under
>Slackware 12.2) has the MetaInfo tab in the properties dialog and is
>full of information I never knew I had until recently, like camera
>manufacturer,  aperture, focal length, date & time. I take it this is
>what you are after ?

>Bogus
ROGER THAT Bogus, sounds exactly like what im after. That should be the EXIF
data imbedded in the photo file. Does it include an edit window for UserData?

My Gwenview 'properties' dialog ONLY contains 'General', 'Permissions', and
'Preview' tabs.??
My environment: Fedora 10, KDE 4.1.2, Gwenview 2.1.2.

Anne, does your KDE 4 version of Gwenview show a properties/metadata-info tab?

If I can get Gwenview working like Bogus states, then I can use that until the
'official' Kuickshow gets sorted out, sounds like it would be hard to get the
current version working on my system. (I may try to anyway, just for fun).
Or maybe Ill just write a python program to view the metadata UserInfo. I
wrote a test version a while back that used fixed off-sets into the image file.
It worked for most photos, but not all. I will need to get more info on the
EXIF metadata specs.

Regards jimp