[kde-linux] Klauncher keeps spawning konqueror

AG computing.account at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:11:53 UTC 2009

Dave Ayers wrote:
> Same problem a couple of times, once on Kubuntu Jaunty with KDE4,
> other time using XFCE4. I didn't spend much time trying to reason it
> out, just logged out and back in.
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM, AG <computing.account at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Is it just me, or have others noticed that when a link is followed from
>> within Kmail, konqueror is spawned repeatedly and then finally crashes,
>> only to restart and crash, seemingly ad infinitum?  This happened
>> regardless of whether I logged into Gnome, KDE or Xfce4 - the panel
>> would become filled with icons of klauncher trying to open the link in
>> konqueror.  Unfortunately, attempting to set the system default browser
>> to open the Kmail links didn't work.  It keeps on invoking klauncher for
>> konqueror.  The only work around at this point seems to be to copy and
>> paste the URL into Opera or Iceweasel.
>>
>> This is so bad that the only way to stop it is to log out and back in again.
>>
>> I am using Debian Squeeze.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?  I can't seem to see any bugs registered.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> AG

Hmmm ... that would bug the sh*t out of me - it happens each and every
WM/DE I log into, including IceWM and Flux.  I just don't know what
causes it and hence, how to stop it from happening.  How did you resolve
it?  At this point in time, I am sorely tempted to uninstall KDE4 and
revert to v.3 - there are missing apps (e.g. ktron, kinfocenter,
kcontrolcenter, kworldclock, etc.) which I really miss in the Deb/
Squeeze install.

Anyway, will test it out by adding a new user and see if I can replicate
it on a clean /home dir.

Cheers

AG