[kde-linux] 20090721KL -- Dolphin And Partitions

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:22:46 UTC 2009

On 07/22/2009 01:02 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 Jul 2009 17:06:12 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
>
>> I have followed your directions with ease -- but it has not worked!  In
>> spite of the change of permissions to 755, the search utility still
>> shows it to be "Read-Only"!  I think that this is related to a VERY
>> faulty installation; it is NOT simply an openSUSE problem.
>>

> Maybe I missed it, but did you check whether you have the same UID on both
> installations?  Not all distros number UIDs the same way.  If you are 501 on
> one system and 1000 on the other you will not be allowed to read files from
> both.
>
> Anne

Hi Bruce, I must have missed the exchange prior to this.
As I had stated earlier, I had run into the same situation
and as Anne suspects, I did have 2 different uid's on the
2 systems - so when I was logged in on system A as user
jd, and had mounted system B's home partition,  I was
unable to access it, and vice versa.

I had to login as root on the console of system B, and I
used vipw to change my uid to be same as on system A.
The file /etc/group also had to be changed so that the
group number of the groups name jd had to change to
match what I had on system A.

Then I chown'ed my home dir on system B like this
cd /home
chown -R jd.jd jd

After that all went well.

Cheers,