[kde-linux] 20090721KL -- Dolphin And Partitions

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Wed Jul 22 02:36:28 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 12:40, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Jul 2009 17:58:25 Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> > Greetings --
> >
> > My computer has a single hard disk drive -- but many partitions.  A
> > couple of those partitions are dedicated to openSUSE 10.2, and the
> > rest are Kubuntu Jaunty (also known as Version 9.04).
> >
> > In the past, I have been able to use (Jaunty) Dolphin to view all
> > partitions -- which meant I could copy files from one distro to the
> > other.  I no longer SEEM to have that option.  Although I see how
> > to modify the default start-up folder, I see nothing that would
> > seem to help me restore the cross-partition view.  So I am blind!!!
> >  Can anyone point out the obvious to me?  THANKS for your time with
> > this message!!!
>
> In each distro, do you have fstab mounts for the partitions of the
> other distro?
>
> Anne

Hello, Anne --

FIRST, Thank you for a quick and helpful reply.

SECOND, a part of my delay in replying is due to problems that I created
for myself in the process of trying to install a VHS-DVD
player-recorder to use the "TV-AV" aspect of my computer monitor!  I am
now back to normal.  MEANWHILE, I have been researching the issue that
you have raised for me.  I am certain that the answer to your question
is "No."  But I am not at all sure quite what I need to do!

When I try to edit /etc/fstab in openSUSE, I see

/dev/sda2 /                            /              acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/sda3 /home                  /home     acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/sda1 swap                    swap       defaults        0 0
proc          /proc                     /proc       defaults        0 0
sysfs         /sys                       /sys        noauto          0 0
debugfs   /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto                  0 0
usbfs       /proc/bus/usb         usbfs      noauto                 0 0
devpts     /dev/pts                 devpts    mode=0620,gid=5  0 0
/dev/fd0  /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,synch    0 0

The df shows

/dev/sda2     18%     /
udev               1%     /dev
/dev/sda3     42%     /home

Both commands produce radically different output in Jaunty (9.04). Part
of this is obviously due to the partitioning which I did -- but part of
it is a combination of other variables (such as versions, etc.)!  For
example, edit  /etc/fstab  produces a LOT of comment-code, not to
mention some really cryptic first-column device names!  Trying to
minimize the confusion, let me present its output as follows. (If the
names are important, I will gladly supply them!)

                     proc          /proc                    proc     0 0
/dev/sda6                      /                           ext3      0 1
/dev/sda11                    /home                 ext3         0 2
/dev/sda10                    /opt                     ext3         0 2
/dev/sda7                      /root                    ext3         0 2
/dev/sda8                      /tmp                    ext3         0 2
/dev/sda12                    /usr                     ext3         0 2
/dev/sda9                      /var                     ext3         0 2
/dev/sda1                      none                   swap           0 0
/dev/sda5                      none                   swap           0 0
                    /dev/scd0  /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 0 0
                    /dev/fd0    /media/floppy     auto             0 0

The first column in the preceeding listing is taken from the comments
and seems to be something from "prior to installation".  The
third-from-last column is --
defaults
relatime,error=remount -ro
relatime
relatime
relatime
relatime
relatime
relatime
sw
sw
user,noauto,exec,utf8
rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8

The results of the df command are also much more extensive --

/dev/sda6          9%     /
tmpfs                 0%     /lib/init/rw
varrun               1%     /var/run
varlock              0%     /var/lock
udev                  1%     /dev
tmpfs                 1%     /dev/shm
lrm                     1%     /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-g
eneric/volatile
/dev/sda11        2%     /home
/dev/dsa10        1%     /opt
/dev/sda7          4%     /root
/dev/sda8          2%     /tmp
/dev/sda12      10%     /usr
/dev/sda9          5%     /var

I really do NOT understand the fact that "tmpfs" appears TWO times above
the "eneric/volatile" entry, but I did not copy this one in error!!!

I notice that you mentioned that I should have fstab mounts for the
partitions of EACH distro in the other.  This makes excellent good
sense if I am going to be moving things in both directions.  I do not
anticipate doing this -- the moves will be entirely from openSUSE to
Jaunty.  Can I "get away with" adding openSUSE partitions to Jaunty's
fstab -- or will things effectively blow-up in my face if I fail to
balance the equation?

THANKS for your time and assistance!!!!!

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us