[kde-linux] In KMail templates how to eliminate the > symbols

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jul 10 14:18:13 UTC 2009

Steve Smoult <steve.smoult at laposte.net> posted
200907100827.29839.steve.smoult at laposte.net, excerpted below, on  Fri, 10
Jul 2009 08:27:29 +0200:

> I refer to the reply template which will not accept a blank in the
> "quote indicator" and adds a > for each reply.  So after a series of
> mails I have a >>>>>> and so on.

The individual words make sense, but I fail to see the problem.

If you're quoting six levels deep (which in most cases you shouldn't be
as it will normally be summarized out, by then, quote only the context
you are replying to, not the whole mail, including all previous mails,
etc...), how would /you/ signify that it's the six-level deep quote, and
not the five-level-deep quote or the seven-level deep quote?

Similarly, the line wraps shouldn't ordinarily be a problem as the quotes
get deeper nested, both because it's traditional to wrap at 72 chars or
so originally to allow several levels of quote before it hits that magic
80 char per line limit, and because modern clients should dynamically
rewrap (and by that I don't mean leave jaggies!) in most contexts if
necessary.  Also,, again, by the third quote level, normally quotes are
already highly excerpted or summarized, and few quotes survive to the
fourth level or higher anyway, because by then, they're seldom apropos to
the ongoing conversation any longer.

Least-wise that's been the case for years (since the 80-char limit was
the physical limit of the display) for both newsgroups and mailing lists,
and for private mail, there's even less reason to maintain N degrees of
quote.

So six levels of quote will (or should be) be extremely rare, and where
they do exist, likely due to some artificial constraint such as the
occasional support context caution I've seen to include the entire
previous conversation (what, they don't have archives to look it up in?),
well, artificial and not so pretty constructs are then par for the
artificially constrained course.

Also, most reasonably modern clients (including kmail) color-code the
quote levels based on the number of quote indicators, so it's quite easy
to tell the quote levels apart simply by their color -- provided the
quote indicator has been included reliably and someone along the line
didn't include some off-the-wall strange delimiter that breaks the
pattern.

I thus don't see the problem.  But perhaps I've missed it.