[kde-linux] where is kcontrol

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 7 12:08:51 UTC 2009

Peter <vmail at mycircuit.org> posted 49EED4DA.4040204 at mycircuit.org,
excerpted below, on  Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:27:06 +0200:

> I compiled KDE with "release" build type, however, when launching for
> example systemsettings ( or krusader ) from an xterm ( that is, not from
> the KDE windowmanager ) , I still get plenty of notifications like:
>
> systemsettings(13669)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::  ....
>
> or
>
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch ....
>
> I suppose, that these are no errors, but how can I disable these
> messages, they clutter the terminal

kde tends to be very noisy on STDOUT/STDERR.  The easiest thing to do is
not to launch them from a terminal window, or to start a new one for
that, and launch them with nohup (see the manpage) or <command> & to put
it in the background, then disown -a, and quit.  (I do this in scripts
sometimes.)

Another solution is to use the shell redirect functionality.  The
following will redirect both STDOUT and STDERR.  Search in the bash
manpage for REDIRECTION (case sensitive search should get you the section
header, or just search for &> and scroll up a bit to start reading,) and
read that section, for more.  The bash manpage is huge, thus the
suggestion to use search on it.

<command> <parms> &>/dev/null

If there's a way to tell kde to shutup via configuration, I don't know
it.  It's not really designed to run from a terminal window unless you're
troubleshooting or something, in which case that noise can sometimes be
quite helpful... tho sometimes there's so much of it the problem is lost
in the noise, particularly if you don't know what to look for.