[kde-linux] KMail fancy grouping headers uses the weird (American) date format

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 7 09:09:05 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> posted
200902101549.41788.cannewilson at googlemail.com, excerpted below, on  Tue,
10 Feb 2009 15:49:26 +0000:

> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 07:52:22 Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems the grouping headers in KMail does not respect locale
>> settings, nor offer the option to configure the date format. As the
>> supplied format (MM-DD-YY, I kid thee not) is pretty much unreadable
>> for anyone who didn't grow up with it, I hope to be wrong.
>>
> Are you absolutely certain that you have your locale set up correctly?
> Mine automatically displays in the British format.
>
>> So... can it be configured anywhere? Preferably to use the ISO format
>> (YYYY-MM- DD) but of course still keep the Today/YesterDay/Weekday/Date
>> cascade :)
>>
> If you can't find the reason for the problem you can at least override
> it.
>  Try (KMail)Settings > Configure KMail > Appearance > Message List tab >
> Date Display > Custom Format.  There is a link to formatting  help.

[OK, this is old, February this year, but I'm practicing good netiquette
and reading the old messages back a way before I post, and given the
missing answer, apparently no then-regulars knew it, so...]

There's several options listed there, custom format being one, localized
format being another.

The localized format is taken from the standard KDE settings, kcontrol or
systemsettings (kde 3.5 or 4.x respectively, he didn't say which
version...), Regional and Accessibility, Country/Region & Language, Go to
town on it! =:^)

(I know this in part because I have a customized short day format which
shows up as the localized choice, YY.MM.DD .  The longer format may or
may not show up as a different option, it's not customized enough here to
be sure without spending more time verifying than I wish to.)

FWIW, my first post to the list/group, thru gmane.  Will it make it?
I've been a KDE user for years, but this 4.x isn't going well for me, to
put it politely.  FWIW, Gentoo/~amd64, KDE 3.5.10 for work, and 4.2.4
when I want to get frustrated with things, is pretty much the way it has
been going since the 4.0 betas.  Luckily Gentoo allows side-by-side
installation and they've finally got /that/ working reasonably well, so
at least 3.x isn't breaking due to 4.x any more.

More later, after I finish at least scanning another 600+ messages.  I
intend to become a list regular, as my next step toward greater KDE
participation...  We'll see.