[kde-linux] Which cheap board works well with KDE4?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jul 6 12:21:24 UTC 2009

Joerg von Frantzius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because KDE4 with compositing was totally buggy using the fglrx driver,
> I exchanged my Radeon R600 board for an Nvidia 8400 GS. Unfortunately,
> KDE4 performance is very bad on the Nvidia 8400 GS, even with latest
> drivers (185.xx).
>
> Can anybody recommend a cheap graphics board that performs well under
> KDE4 with compositing, and without serious bugs?

I guess that it depends on what you mean by "works"

I have a Radeon 9200.  Yes, that is old.  Sometimes KDE says it is too
slow, I think that has been fixed.  To my definition, it 'works' because
it doesn't do any bad things.  The question is whether it will do what
you want and if it will do it fast enough.

It also depends on which X11 software you are using.

X11 is currently in a state of flux and it is hard to say if it is a
good idea to use the newer stuff or the RCs.  Your distro may not make
the best choices.  Then there is the question of what options to use.  I
am not using EXA acceleration and although I have installed XCB I am
using the X11 library without it.

Expect a new Xorg release soon which may fix many of the current problems.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch