[kde-linux] Can't read USB key drives

Philipp Paul bobbor.pap at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:53:28 UTC 2009

2009/1/19 Randy Kramer <rhkramer at gmail.com>

> On Monday 19 January 2009 06:02 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009 00:17:08 Guillaume Revet wrote:
> > > I have a problem with my USB keys on my eeePC 4G. The message is:
> "You're
> > > not allowed to read /home/user/DataTraveler 2.0".
> > >
> > > What could I do to resolve my problem, it seems  that  i became
> user
> > > instead  of root  on my system. And that problem  appear on all my
> USB
> > > device.
>
> Hmm, I guess I could read between the lines, but it might be better to
> ask a few questions.  (Also, I don't know how much experience you have,
> so I don't mean to insult you with these questions or comments.):
>
>   * Are you saying you normally run as root, but somehow you're now
> running as (a) user?  (BTW, running as root, except when doing specific
> adminstrative tasks that can't be done as a user.)
>
>   * What is the ownership of /home/user/DataTraveler 2.0--do an:
>
> ls -al /home/user/"DataTraveler 2.0"
>
> (iirc, you'll need the quotes to handle the space in the file name)
>
>   * Also do a:
>
> whoami
>
> Let us (the list) know the results, then somebody can help you (I
> think).
>
> (The two possibilities, I think, are that you have an
> ownership/permissions problem (probably the result of a less than
> desirable "mount" of the drive) or that the key (pen) drive is not
> mounted (less likely, imho).
>
> Randy Kramer
> --
> I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
> instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.

I guess Randy is right.
It seems "user" can't read USB devices, because he might not be in the right
group.
Something like "plugdev", "hal", or "usb"

Additionally i guess a:

ls -al /home/user/DataTraveler 2.0

might not bring the desired result, as it states the ownership of the link
pointing to /media/DataTraveler 2.0.
Do a:

ls -al /media/DataTraveler 2.0

instead.