[kde-linux] kmail and kdewallet

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:42:47 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 09:19:11 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > When i wrote the above statement i was meaning that they seem to not to
> > care that much about optimisation and stability. KDE is still considered
> > as a resource consuming environment.
>
> That is mostly a myth. Due to shared runtime infrastructure and libraries
> the per application overhead is very low, resulting in a low overall
> resource footprint for a KDE session.
> Lubos Lunak once had a very interesting comparison of different setups in
> one of his blog articles.

There has been a massive change in my system over the last 24 hours, which
might provoke some thought for other systems.  It was suggested that my cpu
might be having to bear a heavy load because my radeon X600 video card wasn't
sufficiently capable.  Then Nikos Chantziaras told me to try "AccelMethod"
"EXA" in my xorg.conf.  This was not really to solve the problem of speed, but
to address the random freezes when desktop effects were running.  The
difference is immense.  Now, with desktop effects running it is totally
stable, as far as I can tell - I haven't had a single freeze since I enabled
this yesterday morning - and I haven't seen long delays and runaway cpu usage.

I've written this up at http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-
Performance#Desktop_Effects_causes_random_freezes.  I understand that the same
EXA method works for some Intel cards that have this problem.  I'll try to get
a grip on the additional information I've been given and write it up in the
same place later today.