[kde-linux] system-config-printer

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:18:37 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 19:50:52 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 February 2009 17:29:33 david wrote:
> >> I've not had printing problems with OO for several years, either to a
> >> locally-connected printer or to the HP LaserJet connected to my server.
> >> I can't imagine why a wifi connection would make any difference, the
> >> printer would appear to be just another network-connected printer,
> >> right?
> >>
> >> Using Debian here, so I don't know if it might be something unique to
> >> Fedora.
> >
> > Last time I tried it (quite a long time ago) I had to fight it for ages
> > to get it to see the printer at all.
>
> And for me it appears with no problems.
>
> > Consequently I avoid prinhting from OO if I
> > possibly can.  If things have really improved I may be doing it an
> > inujustice. However, I need to print from it so infrequently that it may
> > be some time before I know either way.
>
> Sounds like there are still holes in KDE/CUPS/Linux ...

At that time a lot of people complained that they could print from everything
except OO.  It didn't user either kprinter or CUPS, of course.  You had to
'install' the printer (and additional fonts) by using a dotfile from
somewhere.  I can't remember the details.  It reminded me of the DOS days,
when every app had to have its printer install done.