[kde-linux] kde status

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Feb 28 09:53:56 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Have you tried using sftp:// instead of fish://? Saved me from lots of
> > > troubles with connecting to my school's server.
> >
> > While sftp is definitely preferable over fish, it needs a respective SSH
> > server setup, i.e. sftp needs to be enabled in its config.
> >
> > > PS: Isn't sshfs a better option?
> >
> > Depends.
> > The KIO way allows applications to understand that they are not dealing
> > with a local file, e.g. decide not to use blocking read calls, expect
> > data to come in portions or be interrupted etc.
>
> Kevin - clarification, please.  I thought fish: was using ssh?  The reason
> I ask is that my Fedora10 netbook can connect by ssh but not by fish:

Both use SSH as the protocol/encrypted transport.

SFTP is a real file transfer extension for SSH, which is why it has to be
supported by and enabled in the server.
Just like FTP it supports operations on files directly.

Fish is based on simulating that by running commands in a shell session of a
normal SSH connection.
So the SSH side requirements are lower, just need to be able to open a SSH
connection, however the remote side must allow a shell session and be able to
execute shell and/or perl scripts.

Hope that helps understand the differences a bit better.

Cheers.
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring