[kde-linux] system-config-printer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Feb 27 17:50:02 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> I doubt that Fedora installs "system-config-printer-kde",
>
> Just a
> yum install system-config-printer-kde
> away.

I don't think so.  Where would YUM get that file?  It isn't here:

ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os/Packages

Actually, I run L(mostly)FS.

>>> so I since I
>> had already installed "system-config-printer" I tried to run it.  I
>> found that it requires yet another library: "libnotify" and a Python
>> module for that.
>
> On my F-10 box, system-config-printer has an indirect dependency on that:
> system-config-printer -> notify-python -> libnotify

Yes, I installed those.

How does "system-config-printer" work with the icon theme problem?  Is
there a workaround for that?  Can you run it when KDE-4 is the DeskTop?

IAC, I have the KDE version basically running except that I think that I
need to install sudo to run it with root permissions.

I can clearly see that using Qt for printing is not going to be adequate
for what I would like to see.  It can do part of the job with
modifications but KPrint is still going to be needed, and if we want
good printing support now, KPrint is going to have to do most of the job
and part of it can be offloaded to Qt when (and if) more features are
added.  Currently, Qt could probably be used to insulate KPrint from the
poor design of CUPS.

I would like to see something like OO has.  Note that OO printing is a
much better design than CUPS.

--
JRT