[kde-linux] kde status

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Sat Feb 21 21:19:44 UTC 2009

Am Saturday 21 February 2009 21:51:05 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > however, there are still issues - most important: kde4 is still
> > significantly slower than 3.5.x .
> > and although there were always improvements in this area from release to
> > release, it is still not as snappy as 3.5.x .
>
> Agreed

Anne,
thanks for your comments :)
and yes, this (meanwhile improved, but still lasting) slowness is my main
issue here.
but there is hope: qt 4.5 is on its way, and it is said this will improve
speed significantly - I'll give it a try, for sure...

> I've only just started using quanta.  Today it seemed to have a problem
> problems you're seeing?
>
> > due to missing ioslaves (ftps, fish..) -
> > which is clearly a fault of my distro, not kde's.
>
> Dunno.  ISTR reading that kio slaves can't work because dbus has taken the
> place of .... hummm. errr...   fish:// works on 4.1.3, but not, it appears,
> on 4.2 - at least on my systems.  Perhaps someone can clarify that for us?

kde3 has its own kioslaves, and thus cannot use those from kde4.
as stated, kde3 apps still work under 4.x, provided all features from kde3
(like ioslaves) are still available.
distros like opensuse are reported to have incorporated all that, as opposed
to (k)ubuntu, but frankly, I'm not willing to convert to opensuse, because of
apt-get - which is an outstanding feature of debian based distros ;-)

werner