[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 20:54:09 UTC 2009

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I have almost finished installing CUPS and now I wonder if it was
> necessary, but I will have to figure that out after this issue.
>
> When I start: "System -> Printing" the dialog opens with the options
> grayed out.  I know exactly what the problem is, it needs to run with SU
> privilege.  But, how do I do this?  I would expect that the KDESU dialog
> would pop up and ask me for the root password before it opens but this
> doesn't happen.  Since this is a Python program, I can't simply set the
> SUID permission bit.  I presume that others have this working so that
> there must be a way to do it.
>
> HELP! :-)

I wrote this as a frustrated user (with a head cold) that had been
trying to get this to work for some time with no success.

Apparently, my assumption was incorrect.  PrintTool has to be run with
SU privilege and that seemed to be the problem here since options were
grayed out as is the case with KCMs that need SU privilege to run.

So, I have installed "system-config-printer-kde" which is part of the
KDEAdmin.  I think that I have installed the needed Python stuff for it
to run.  From what info I could find the best way was to simply install
"system-config-printer", which I did.  I have installed CUPS.

I tried running s-c-p-k and if failed to work

Clicked the button: "New Printer"

In the dialog that popped up, I selected "LPT #1" and clicked the
"Forward" button.

Nothing happened.

I have exactly zero experience with s-c-p-k.  So, I am just another
frustrated user.

I know that I can use the CUPS browser configuration dialog.  However,
the issue is that I want to get s-c-p-k working or determine that there
is a bug and report it.

So, my first question is whether someone else has managed to use this
and does it work?

I tried running it from a Konsole, but that does not work.  I get the
message in the Konsole:

	Password for KDE-4 on localhost?

and all I have is a gray window.  So, I have not been able to trouble
shoot this.  I find this puzzling since there is nothing special in the
'desktop' file, just:

Exec=system-config-printer-kde

So, I would appreciate some assistance from someone that has installed
this from source.

--
JRT