[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 12:01:16 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I have almost finished installing CUPS and now I wonder if it was
>> necessary, but I will have to figure that out after this issue.
>>
>> When I start: "System -> Printing" the dialog opens with the options
>> grayed out.  I know exactly what the problem is, it needs to run with SU
>> privilege.  But, how do I do this?  I would expect that the KDESU dialog
>> would pop up and ask me for the root password before it opens but this
>> doesn't happen.  Since this is a Python program, I can't simply set the
>> SUID permission bit.  I presume that others have this working so that
>> there must be a way to do it.
>>
>> HELP! :-)
>>

> I'm assuming you are using KDE 4.*.  If so, this should help:
>
> kdesu /usr/bin/systemsettings

Thanks for the tip.

> Note, that should work but it may vary according to your distro.  I use
> Gentoo and mine is actually /usr/kde/4.2/bin/systemsettings

Actually, "Printing" isn't in System Settings, but I tried to open it in
a Konsole after "su" and it didn't help.  And as a bonus, it screwed up
my root account. :-)  Apparently, KDE4 doesn't know the difference
between running with root permissions and actually being root.

Any who, I use the CUPS configuration HTML page to set up the printer,
which doesn't solve the problem but it is a workaround that worked.

So, I tried printing and it printed.  Problem is that it printed the
PostScript code rather than the page.  Other people have had that
problem so I presume that it can be fixed.

--
JRT