[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 11:30:10 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 10:13:27 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

> dialog

> this

> set the

>>> Open localhost:631 in a browser. Since you are about to set up
>>> printers
>
>>> you need root authority, so you must go to the Administration
>>> page to
>
>>> give the password. I think you will find it fairly
>>> self-explanatory
>
>>> after that.
>

>>> Once set up you can control jobs from there if you need to
>>> (something
>
>>> unprintable, sent to the wrong queue and blocking things, for
>>> instance)
>
>>> but you will not need to very often. On the few occasions that
>>> you need
>
>>> root authority you will be asked for the password.
>

>> Been there done that. However, I consider that I am doing software
>
>> testing.
>

>> The question is whether "System -> Printing" will work or if this
>> is a
>
>> bug that needs to be reported.
>
> James, for the last time. If something works for everyone but you, is
>  that the definition of a bug?

Certainly not!  That is why I asked -- so I could determine if it was a
local problem which I was having or if it was a bug.

> Sorry, but I don't think so.

And your response has not clarified that.

> What exactly are you trying to do with 'System > Printing'?

Starting back at "0":

I opened it using the menu.

Noted that the "Basic Server Settings" were grayed out and could not be
set -- probably nothing there that needs to be set any who.

Selected: "New Printer" in the window on the (my) left.

Clicked the button: "New Printer".

In the dialog that popped up, I selected "LPT #1" and clicked the
"Forward" button.

The button reacted, but nothing happened.

> Why can't you just install your printer under cups, let the kde
> printing system pick that up, then print normally?

I can and did do that.  But it has nothing to do with testing the
software or whether you can access: "system-config-printer-kde" using
the K-Menu -- whether that works (for you).

> It works for everyone else.

What works for everyone else?  The workaround of using the CUPS setup
tool or can everyone else access and use: "system-config-printer-kde"
using the K-Menu?

I also note that there is another workaround but it doesn't work either.
  You can open a Konsole, "su", enter password, and execute:
"system-config-printer-kde".  Doing that, the options are no longer
grayed out, however when I get to clicking the: "Forward" button, still
nothing happens.  So perhaps running with root permissions isn't the answer.

--
JRT