[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 08:57:13 UTC 2009

I have almost finished installing CUPS and now I wonder if it was
necessary, but I will have to figure that out after this issue.

When I start: "System -> Printing" the dialog opens with the options
grayed out.  I know exactly what the problem is, it needs to run with SU
privilege.  But, how do I do this?  I would expect that the KDESU dialog
would pop up and ask me for the root password before it opens but this
doesn't happen.  Since this is a Python program, I can't simply set the
SUID permission bit.  I presume that others have this working so that
there must be a way to do it.

HELP! :-)

--
JRT