[kde-linux] flash player installation

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Feb 21 08:34:28 UTC 2009

sf2rio wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I had to take my laptop into the shop as it had various problems. I've got it back now and I'm reconfiguring everything. I'm having trouble reinstalling FlashPlayer.
>
> I have KDE version 3.5.5
> user: root
> hostmame: librix
> system: linux
> release: 2.6.22-gentoo-r2
> machine: i686
>
> I've already downloaded FlashPlayer and extracted the folder to my desktop. If I try to install it in Konsole, I get stopped at "please enter the installation path of the (....) browser". (I'm using Mozilla)
>
> Here is a copy of the Konsole transcript:

> librix Desktop # cd install_flash_player_10_linux
> librix install_flash_player_10_linux # ./flashplayer-installer
>
> Copyright(C) 2002-2006 Adobe Macromedia Software LLC.  All rights reserved.
>
> Adobe Flash Player 10 for Linux
>
> Adobe Flash Player 10 will be installed on this machine.
>
> You are running the Adobe Flash Player installer as the "root" user.
> Adobe Flash Player 10 will be installed system-wide.
>
> Support is available at http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/
>
> To install Adobe Flash Player 10 now, press ENTER.
>
> To cancel the installation at any time, press Control-C.
>

> NOTE: Please exit any browsers you may have running.
>
> Press ENTER to continue...
>

> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
> or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
> or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla): /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
>
> WARNING: Please enter a valid installation path.
>
> Please enter the installation path of the Mozilla, Netscape,
> or Opera browser (i.e., /usr/lib/mozilla):
>
> I've also tried to use the automatic updater. From K menu ->utilities->network->librix update.
>
> When I do a search on "flash", I get no results.
>
> Any suggestions?

I suggest using the RPM.

Then you will have:

	/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so

and a setup script that may or may not be helpful.

What I do is open a Konqueror File Manager as root and link the SO file
to the correct place for each browser.

There is an issue with doing that for Konqueror.  Nobody ever decided on
where the proper place for the NSPlugins was and you will find the
kitchen sink in the Konqueror Plugins KCM:

	Settings -> Configure Konqueror : Plugins

So, basically any directory listed will do although I would recommend
that you delete them all and add:

	${HOME}/.kde/share/nsplugins
	/usr/kde-3/share/nsplugins

So that you have control over which plugins Konqueror uses.

IAC, make the link and click the "Scan for New Plugins" button and it
should work in a newly opened Konqueror instance.

--
JRT