[kde-linux] Shutdown Problems

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Fri Feb 20 17:36:51 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 06:20:09 John Culleton wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2009 02:53:13 pm Nathan England
>
> wrote:
> > Hello Hello,
> >
> > I have a lot of issues shutdown my laptop from within
> > KDE. Not every time, but I would say a majority of the
> > time, when I right-click and select logout, then
> > shutdown, it begins the logout process and the screen
> > goes black and it will sit there forever...
> >
> > I can hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and it brings me back to the
> > login screen. I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 and manually run shutdown
> > -h now and it works fine.
> >
> > My question is, how do I debug what KDE is doing or not
> > doing when I tell it to shutdown so I can see what is
> > hanging up.
> >
> > I have a USB drive with an encrypted volume that I often
> > use dolphin to access, I'm wondering if this is part of
> > the issue, but not sure yet. I just began noticing this
> > correlation.
> >
> > Any hints would be wonderful!
> >
> > Nathan
> > D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
> >              http://www.doteasy.com
>
> What is the basis of your distribution, Debian, Slack,
> Gentoo, other? I have a Slack partition with KDE 3.5.10
> that shuts down without difficulty and a Kubuntu partition
> with KDE 4.2 that also shuts down without difficulty.

I would have to say influenced by Slack and Arch Linux, though I do not use
any of their packages. I built a package manager, semi-followed the LFS setup
but have my own init scripts and various ways of doing things.

Sometimes it shuts down correctly and sometimes it does not. I was hoping
there was something I could watch that made notification of things as it was
attempting to shutdown.

nathan

--
Nathan England