[kde-linux] Back to the future with xpdf

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Wed Feb 18 13:40:26 UTC 2009

I run TeX in semi-WYSIWYG mode by keeping both a Gvim wndow
and a pdf viewer side by side. Periodically I save my file,
run a little script and view the updated results in the pdf
viewer.   Here is the progression/regression in available
viewers:
Xpdf: will refresh with the "r" command, saving page
location
Old Kpdf: will refresh when underlying pdf file changes,
saving page location.
New Kpdf (0.5.10 on KDE 3.5.10): won't refresh, file has to
be reloaded manually.

I can go backwards from Slackware 12.2 to 12.0 0r 12.1 to
get the best Kpdf behavior but that loses some bug fixes to
Kmail.  Currently I am just gritting my teeth and using
Xpdf.

Question 1: why was the refresh feature in Kpdf dropped?

Question 2: can I just load an old version Kpdf program on
KDE 3.5.10 without causing headaches?

John Culleton