[kde-linux] blank e-mail pane in KMail for 4.2

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 17 01:50:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 09:41:01 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2009 13:26:56 Jim Philips wrote:
> > On Monday 16 February 2009 08:00:00 Jim Philips wrote:
> > > This is probably just a setting, but I have no idea where it is. I have
> > > KMail set up for the standard three-pane e-mail viewing. But when I
> > > click on an e- mail, the viewing pane is just blank, except for a
> > > side-bar that says "No HTML Message". If I double-click on the e-mail,
> > > a new window opens up and I can then see everything. How can I get back
> > > to viewing my e-mail in the normal pane?
> >
> > Never mind. I fixed it. Under Settings-->Appearance-->Message Window, I
> > unchecked "Show HTML Status Bar" and everything came back. Seems like a
> > bug, though. Why would that status bar make all of my text disappear?
>
> Hmm - just checked it here, and there is no problem.  Maybe a distro bug?
> Which distro/version?

This is Kubunt/Intrepid. The funny thing is that the behavior came back after
awhile. Once again, I twiddled the settings for KMail and my reading pain
showed content again. This may have more to do with the video card than the
distro. There is some known flakiness with nVidia cards and KDE 4.X. I had to
modify some settings to stop video rendering from eating up all CPU here.