[kde-linux] Switching to KDE-4.2: Problem #1: I can't print to my printer

John Layt john at layt.net
Thu Feb 12 21:55:11 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 23:17:05 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> IAC, we seem to have wandered off of the issue.  My printer prints fine
> form Okular-0.8 in KDE-4.2 -- the problem is not with the printer
> driver.  The problem is that printing doesn't work with KWrite.  I click
> "Print" and nothing happens -- I don't even see an error message.  I
> hacked the code and it works fine.  The problem is that I hacked the
> KATE code, could find no library to hack, and that probably means that
> other apps won't work either.  I tried Konqueror and it wouldn't print a
> web page.
>
> It has been suggested to me that this is a Qt bug.  So, I updated
> Qt-COPY and am trying to build TRUNK against it.

Apologies, I've been away and am just catching up.  I haven't read the bug
report yet,  but I can confirm that Qt does support printing through lpr, it
falls back to lp support if CUPS is not installed.

You say you can print through Okular, which suggests to me your printer
appears in the Qt print dialog?  Same as it does in Kwrite and the other apps?
So it seems Qt is talking to lp ok to find out the installed printers.  So
that suggests that there is a bug with Qt actually subbing the print file to
lpr.  So this should be reported to Qt.  Don't be too surprised if the issue
isn't fixed in Qt 4.5, lpr support probably doesn't get as extensive testing
now virtually every disto and *nix varient ships with CUPS.

The reason Okular works when the others don't is that in order to print high
quality PDF files we use the Qt print dialog but bypass using Qt to sub the
print file to lpr/CUPS and do it ourselves.  We can't do this for all of KDE
as it is not cross-platform, with Qt we get Win and Mac support for free.

John.