[kde-linux] Knetworkmanager doesn't connect with fixed ip auto conexion

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 12 00:11:06 UTC 2009

christophe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm runing opensuse 11.1 / kde 3.5
>
> i have selected networkmanager in YaST2 (opensuse configuration tool) for my
> internet connexion because i think knetworkmanager is easy to use when i want
> to connect my laptop to a wifi AP when i'm away from home.
>
> But when i'm home, i need to connect to my home ethernet network with a fix ip
> for some good reason like file synchronization via unison and tv via ip .
> Therefore i used knetworkmanager to configure a connexion on my ethernet
> card . I entered all parameters on the knetwork window : fixed ip, network
> mask, DNS, default gateway, connexion name and, of course, i checked the
> automatic connexion box .
> Then, i expect knetworkmanager to connect automatically with the fixed IP
> parameters i entered at each login when my ethernet cable is plugged into my
> laptop ethernet card at home . On opensuse 10.3, it works correctly, but with
> opensuse 11.1, it does not. Surprisingly, on opensuse 11.1, it connects with
> a dhcp IP, so without the fixed IP i parametered !!! (like 192.168.0.50
> instead of 192.168.0.8)

If OpenSuSE 11.1 is connecting with DHCP, that would indicate that it is
setup to start the DHCP daemon at boot.  My best guess is that if you
want to use KNetWorkManager that you would need to use NetworkManager
instead of DHCP -- that you can't use both of them at the same time.
So, I would try disabling the DHCP start at boot and rebooting.

--
JRT