[kde-linux] Conflict between proxy and zeroconf:/

LM--- ludovicmarchetti at web.de
Tue Feb 10 15:17:05 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bring a topic/problem about an "old" desktop into the midst of
so much discussion about KDE 4.2, but I still hope some of you will have
an answer for me...

I sport Debian 4.0 / Etch with KDE 3.5.5 and I'm still very satisfied
with that as it works really fine.
I believe that a certain members of this discussion list still use the
same KDesktop version as I do, and maybe those who use 4.2 will still
have a few recollections of how things were, not so long ago...

Here is the description of my situation:
Firstly: I surf on the internet with Konqueror. I normally use a proxy.
I use the exception list for some sites, for which I don't want to use a
proxy.
Secondly: I use the networking capacities of Linux: system:/remote (or
"Remote places"); and in particular: zeroconf:/ (or "Network services")
and smb:/ (or "Samba shares"). To browse these "Remote places" I use
Konqueror as well.

Here is my problem: when use of proxy is selected (KDE control center
--> Internet and network --> Proxy --> selection is "Manually specify
the proxy setting") for internet surfing, I can't read/see/get to
zeroconf:/ when I try to browse "Network services"; a page coming from
the proxy server jumps in. I tried to formulate new exceptions for
zeroconf:/ ("Manually specify the proxy setting" --> Setup --> New
window: Manual proxy configuration --> Exceptions --> New), such as
"system:/remote" and "zeroconf://local/_http._tcp". But this didn't help.

Finally here is my question: is there a way I can prevent the proxy from
jumping in when I want to browse zeroconf:/ (i.e. "Network services")
while still keeping manual proxy setting for usual internet surfing,
e.g. in creating a new exception ? Is there another "formulation" I must
use for an exception? Is there any other way than this?

Thanks for your help.

Ludovic M.