[kde-linux] Switching to KDE-4.2: Problem #1: I can't print to my printer

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:00:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 23:54:53 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 February 2009 04:38:24 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> >> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
> Not using anything unusual.  I use LPR and GhostSctipt.  Although
> KDE-3stopped supporting lpq, the printing still worked.  And it still
> works perfectly in OO.o.  The only setup for OO.o was to provide a real
> PPD file (not a CUPS or FooMatic one).

I would have thought that pointing the CUPS setup to that same .ppd would have
worked.  Did you try that?

> But doesn't CUPS require a modified PPD file?

Not as far as I know.  I've never heard of anyone having to provide a different
driver for OOo and CUPS printing.

> The driver issue is with my old line printer which is an Epson LQ1000.

Yes, looking at the database at linuxprinting.org it does seem that there is
not a specific driver for that model.  However, the Omni driver
http://www.openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=omni&fromprinter=Epson-
LQ-1010 is said to support several LQ-10?0 models, so may well be an option
for you, if the .ppd you already have doesn't work.  I'd try the one that
works in OOo first.

> As I said previously, I want to use the GhostScript RIP device
> (commonly, and incorrectly, called a driver).

:-)  I know you're trying to be precise, but it's not worth getting too
technical here :-)  We all know this as 'a driver' :-)

> However, the big problem is that I was not able to print from KWrite
> without hacking the code, and I don't think that that is dependent on
> the printer which I was trying to use.

Not being a developer, I could be way off-beam, but I suspect that that's
because the driver you have isn't absolutely right for the model.  Models that
began before hardware manufacturers even started to become linux-aware can be
quite difficult to set up, but often are totally reliable if you can actually
get there.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.