[kde-linux] my thought about kde 4.2

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 20:48:30 UTC 2009

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009 06:11:25 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>>> XDG is (last time I checked) recommending applications install
>>> configuration into $HOME/.local/<appname> instead of $HOME/.<appname>.
>> Actually the recommendation is to put configs into wherever
>> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME points to, or $HOME/.config/ if it is not set or empty.
>> So usually this would mean $HOME/.config/appname (file) or
>> $HOME/.config/appname/ (dir)
>>
>> $HOME/.local/ or more precisely $HOME/.local/share/ is the default for user
>> local application data in case $XDG_DATA_HOME is not set or empty.
>
> Thanks for the correction.  Good information to keep in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind, I think. Information about your
application preferences, user-specific system configuration, etc - is
just as much your data as your word processing files or whatever data
files hang out in your $HOME directory. This gives you one convenient
location for backing up everything at once, or moving it to another
system. Being kept in hidden folders/files keeps them out of sight.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community