[kde-linux] Switching to KDE-4.2: Problem #1: I can't print to my printer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 22:56:27 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 21:55:15 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I am currently testing 4.2 with the intention to switch to it as soon as
>> all functions work.
>>
>> So, I opened KWrite, typed tqbf and tried to print it.
>>
>> 	File -> Print
>>
>> selected "lp" and clicked print.  Absolutely nothing happed.
>>
>> I suspect that I need to set the print command somewhere, but I can't
>> find any place to do this.
>
> If your print queue is set up in CUPS, kwrite should list it as an available
> printer.  You shouldn't need to give any command at all.  For the attached
> screenshot I just hit File > Print.

I don't have CUPS installed.  It isn't really necessary when you have
one or two printers connected directly to one computer.  To coin a
phrase, in this case, it is like using a sledge hammer to kill mosquitoes.

However, if it is possible to use the GhostScript printer drivers with
CUPS, I will install it if that is the only way.

--
JRT