[kde-linux] my thought about kde 4.2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 20:21:30 UTC 2009

david wrote:
> Jose Rafael Castillo Huggins wrote:
>
>> 3. i think dolphin after some tune up is a hell good file manager
>> (except for smb mounts with password :( but it fails too in
>> konqueror so is mostly a kio prob) so you maybe could think about
>> made konqueror a web browser only

Just a note that there is no such thing as a *web* browser only.  You
can have a browser only (Firefox for example) that will browse anywhere
but will not manage files (e.g. copy, rename, move, delete).  There is
no actual advantage in this with KDE since the file manager function is
a plugin (a KPart) and it would make no sense to simply make it
impossible to use the plugin.

>> like safari maybe and give it a nice UI rework cuz konqueror look
>> like a 90's basic web browser and is not as friendly file manager
>> for ppl like dolphin.
>
> I think Dolphin is a horrible file manager, totally sucks, and if the
>  developers had spent their time on Konqueror instead of developing
> Dolphin, they'd have the best of both worlds.

I find this strange since the file manager in Dolphin (KDE-4) is exactly
the same as the file manager in Konqueror (DolphinPart).  What is it
about Dolphin that you don't like?  Perhaps it is only a configuration
issue.

IAC, compared to previous (non-KDE) file managers for X11 (e.g. XFM), it
is a great improvement.  If you have useful suggestions phrased as how
this or that would be better if it were done your way, KDE welcomes
suggestions.

--
JRT