[kde-linux] Why is it so difficult to disable a screensaver?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 19:51:19 UTC 2009

Robin Pedersen wrote:
<SNIP>
> I have turned them all off (and by the way, it's not enough to turn
> off settings in KDE, you have to hack with xorg.conf or xset), but it
> looks like some events cause some powersaving feature to be
> reenabled, and it happens from time to time.

Yes, the X11 configuration file is another place to set this.  I don't
think that the default "xorg.conf" file even has these in it, but these
options do exist in the: "ServerFlags" section {you probably know this,
but I also right for the archives which someone else may read}:

	BlankTime
	StandbyTime
	SuspendTime
	OffTime

and these are the default settings which can be changed with "xset".
See the "xorg.conf" man page.

Have you tried the command:

	xset -dpms

to turn of the power management?

And, the command:

	xset s off

to turn off screen blanking?  Actually it turns off the screen saver
function.

Good luck.  When using the text console (not X11) my screen blanks after
a while and I haven't been able to figure out why, so I can understand
your frustration.

--
JRT