[kde-linux] Why is it so difficult to disable a screensaver?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:53:49 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 19:56:13 Robin Pedersen wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:47:20 +0100, Anne Wilson
>
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 19:34:04 Robin Pedersen wrote:
> >> When I have my laptop powered on, and the screen is open, I'm
> >> looking at it. I don't want it to turn black after a short while.
> >
> > This is power management, usually controlled by your BIOS, not your
> > software.
> >
> > Anne
>
> It's controlled by software, because it usually works. When I disable all
> the settings I mentioned, the screen usually stays on, except that I have
> seen recently that my display blanks out some times.

You can control screensavers in config files.  The display blanking is a BIOS
thing.

> Controlled by BIOS or not, those settings I mentioned are all available in
> config files, and they are all set to enabled by default.

Where exactly are you seeing the screen blanking?  If you mean in the
screensaver configuration, that is is place of a graphical screensaver.
Stopping the screensaver launching will stop that, but it will not stop the
BIOS power management.  Have you actually tried looking at the power
management screen in your BIOS settings?