[kde-linux] Why is it so difficult to disable a screensaver?

Pablo Sanchez pablo at blueoakdb.com
Wed Feb 4 19:39:16 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 at 2:34 pm, Robin Pedersen penned
about "[kde-linux] Why is it so difficult to disable a screensaver?"

> Have you ever tried to disable the screensaver on your linux box, to have
> the screen powered on at all times?

Howdy,

I ended up disabling a whack of KDE stuff and wrote a little script
... if you `man xset', you'll figure out how not to turn off the
screen - see -dpms flag (I think that's it).

::::::::::::::::::::::::
::: turn_off_display :::
::::::::::::::::::::::::
#!/bin/sh

#
# Truly switch off the display
#

if [ $# -ne 1 ] ; then
   MINUTES_OF_INACTIVITY=15
else
   MINUTES_OF_INACTIVITY=$1
fi

_SECONDS=`echo $MINUTES_OF_INACTIVITY \* 60 | bc`

xset -display :0.0 +dpms
xset -display :0.0 dpms 0 0 $_SECONDS

--
Pablo Sanchez - Blueoak Database Engineering, Inc
Ph:    819.459.1926      Fax:   760.860.5225 (US)